Kwajalein Atoll

30 May

When I worked at CompuServe around 1993, I saw a picture of Kwajalein Island on Alisa DeSisto’s cubicle wall. As it turns out, she was stationed there for a year or two. I was fascinated by the concept of people actually living on such a tiny island (about twice as long as the airport runway!) in the Pacific Ocean many hundreds of miles from any decent size chunk of land. Is this place cool, or what? :) Click on the link or picture to view Kwajalein on Google Maps so you can explore virtually. Google allows zooming in to the 200 ft. resolution level.

Kwajalein on Google Maps

kwajalein.png

About these ads

7 Responses to “Kwajalein Atoll”

1. Ed May 31, 2007 at 3:19 am #

My sister’s in-laws used to live there for a number of years. He is an artist and some form of engineer with a contract with the government. They seemed to like it there a lot.

2. Brian Adkins May 31, 2007 at 9:16 am #

Amazing. Another friend of mine said that two bloggers that he follows spent some years growing up there. What are the chances that two of my friends know people who lived on such a remote island :)

3. Randy Young August 3, 2007 at 4:34 pm #

Aug 4, 2007
    Greeting and Yokwe from Kwajalein
    Actually not amazing at all. The concept is this is a small mid-westyern town dropped into a tropical isolated island, but we still have many amenities. 9 hole golf course, 2 Olympic size swimming pools, large small boat marina (and cheap boat rental), 2 beaches, department, hardware, grocery stores, bakery, library, 3 softball fields, schools K-12, gyms, sevceral beaches, and a different sunset every evining. I especiall enjoy ham radio from here. See my QSL card and pictures at http://www.QRZ.com (enter my call V73RY in the lookup) weather always around 80…never above 90 never below 75. Weather anomalies are extremely rare.
    Only downside is….we are spending so much money in Iraq, that nothing goes for upkeep elsewhere..i.e. Kwajalein or home land infrastructure(think collapsing bridge in Minneapolis recently).
    Work is generally laid back, with lots of time for beach, scuba, snorkeling, etc.
    I’ve been on Kwaj for 2 years. Probably another 1 or 2 to go before I retire for good. My wife will be glad to get back to the land of the Malls and WalMart, but we will be really sad wjhen we finally do step on the plane for home.
    Greeting and Yokwe from the Masrshall Islands

4. Joe Benn December 18, 2007 at 5:34 pm #

As a dependent I was on Kwaj twice 1959-1962 and 1969-1971 It seems strange that when you are living on the island the only thing that you want is to get off and when you are finally free the only thing you can think about is how to get back.
    I live on Kwaj longer than I live anywhere else during my school years does that make it my home town or place.

5. Kris Bohrer June 18, 2008 at 3:53 pm #

We lived on Kwaj from ’69 thur ’71. As Joe says, you live there, wondering how you can get away sometimes, but once you move away, you think about how nice it would be to get back. I used to have dreams (I think it was after waves hit us from a Sunami over in Japan), but I dreamt I woke and our trailer from Silver City was floating out in the middle of the ocean, no land to be seen. I was always glad to wake up! A lot of years have passed for us,one of our 5 kids was born there, and ultimately had to choose between U.S. citizenship, or Trust Territory citizenship, and thankfully joined us all in Minnesota as a U.S. citizen, but she, as well as us, would love to get back someday. Ya never know….

6. Kris Bohrer June 18, 2008 at 3:55 pm #

One mention I failed to make previously. We went to Kwaj in 1969, never before having left Minnesota. 6 months later, we get a letter from my husband’s mom, that a boy that went to our church transferred to Kwaj with his wife — we ran into them at the Yokwe one night soon after. Small World!

7. Glen Hatcher September 20, 2008 at 8:30 pm #

Hi,
    I’m Glen A Hatcher, and was a software specialist in charge of the launch area monitor, flight safety, missle guidance and process construction from 1969-1971. Colonel Malar was the big boss and I met 100′s of people that became great friends. John Broadwater, Ed Wierzbicki, Kolodziej, Bill Talbert, and Dick Nuckey (God rest his soul, he died diving on a sunken ship) and many others who were my co-workers.

On a lighter note, my wife and I were on vacation in Las Vegas and ask this couple where are you from? they replied, “you wouldn’t know, it’s a small island in the South Pacific called Kwajalein”. Needless to say it was a talkative afternoon. It was great to know that the research goes on.

If you read this a recongize any names please respond.